Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Lima, Peru

Erin and I were were supposed to fly to the Iquitos, in the jungle, at7am... but due to a migracion of birds, it was delayed until thisafternoon. (strangest reason for a flight delay I´ve heard of) So weare filling some time with the internet. Yesterday we went to thecentro and went on a tour of this church of the order or SaintFrancis. In the catacombs, in the basement, in 1947 they disinterredthe bodies of 25,000 people buried down there and seperated them intostone open-topped carrels. Like, all of the skulls together, all ofthe femurs, ribs, fingers, etc. Extremely weird. After the tour guideexplained all of this, a guy on the tour asked "wait, but WHY did youdig them all up and seperate the bodies?" "We were building a museum." Strange. Then we did a bit of shopping, scoring two shirts (one areject from old navy for erin) for 6 soles, which is less than $2. Asalesman in a department store told me I wasn´t american because my english was strange. I said, "fuck you buddy." No one insults my grasp of my mother tongue. He also preferred "la musica rock," specifically the b52s and told us Kate Pearson was 56 years old. Incredible.
We then proceeded to Jesus Maria, a friendlyworking class neighborhood where both Maggie and Erin have stayed atvarious points and put ourselves in the hands of Alicia. She cut our hair for s./7 (about $2.30) and styles it for s./15. The style wastotally worth it. Best of all, we have the same haircut, save that we asked for Erin´s bangs to be a little longer. Kudos, Alicia. Jessica might kill me, though. A jealous lover/hairdresser, that one. Last night was packing, chilling and eventually eating cow hearts with Maggie. They were a tasty, savory treat and come kind of kebab-styleand well flavored.So I feel good in mind, body and spirit. Like I do still speakSpanish, very relaxed and, aside from a sunburn from the 2d day,(knock on wood) healthy.To the jungle this afternoon... later to a surfing town near Ecuadorand then a little trekking in the Mountains. And home.

No comments: