Monday, June 20, 2005

Roses and Corn...

Last Saturday was the kind of day I'll look back on and always kind of hold as the model of "a great day." A lot of things made it nice; a surprise visit from my dad, a beautiful day at the ball park but the evening time was the best. After the game the group of 4 went to central park, bringing with us grocery store sandwiches and beer in plastic bags. We ate and drank and talked in a little while 4 became 2 and it was just me and friend. I was made fun of once, after I described a New Years Eve as so amazing and caused lots of speculation on what really happened. Alison said something like "You know Sarah, 'amazing' probably means it was a really great conversation." Which is true. Saturday was great conversation, it was laying in the grass with that tired getting-over-day-time-drunk feeling and nothing felt hurried or complicated. At least to me, everything was honest and unrushed. There was nowhere else to be and nothing that prevented us from sitting in the same spot in the grass for almost 5 hours. No obligations or time crunch meant we could pursue every avenue, rehash old stories, talk about new things. Stopping to smell the roses is trite, I know. But I became so aware of how busy we are/I am/I feel that a time like that felt ridiculously rare is kind of time I love. And I think is so important because it reminds us why and that we are friends... and friends are good to have.

No comments: