Thursday, March 18, 2010

Eggs!

Recently we decided eggs are something we're willing to spend more money on. Charlie and I can both taste a difference in grass-fed/free range eggs and now that I'm eating some eggs again (thanks, Simvastatin!), we want the good ones. Also, eggs are one of the only foods I've heard of where the organic or natural version is actually substantially more nutritious and healthy than the regular version. For example, 1⁄3 less cholesterol, 1⁄4 less saturated fat, 2⁄3 more vitamin A, 2 times more omega-3s, 3 times more vitamin E, 7 times more beta carotene than typical eggs. We've even casually discussed getting our own chickens... but I put the kabash on that until we live in the same place... all of the time. Anyway, soon after we decided to pony up more for eggs, a woman who works in my building began selling some grass-fed eggs from her local friend's chickens.
They came today, aren't they gorgeous? It's like an Easter Basket for lazy people!

2 comments:

addie anne said...

The last few weekends I've been all about organic scrambled eggs and sourdough toast. Yum! I also have a great egg bake recipe if you want it. I gave it to a friend for a contest last weekend and she came in second, so there ya go...

Sarah said...

Yes, please, Annie Anne! I'm going to a Persian New Year's this weekend. I don't know what that is or what one brings, but I am hoping egg bake is appropriate because we have so many eggs!!