Over the years, my years of being on my own and belonging to gyms, I've done both private gyms and YMCAs. When we moved to Flagstaff, there was no Y here (I know, right? Don't get me started on living in a land of no GAP, either, it makes me disoriented.) But last summer they finished the one they were building and in October I joined (there was a discount through work, duh.)
So no matter what kind of gym I belong to, I hate-hate-hate that initial point where you don't really know your way around or how things work. I've known people who used free 1-week passes to go from gym to gym and get free workouts... but this is like my nightmare. Always not knowing where things are or how to sign up for classes? ASKING all the time? Ugh. Terrible.
So anyway, the Y here is super nice (although too small already, something about Flagstaff's big box store ordinance, I've been told in the lockerroom and don't understand) and has won all these green building awards and blah blah. But. I love it there.
It has a preschool in it, along with a daycare for kids with parents using the Y. I loved right before Halloween when the kids paraded through the cardio room with homemade masks on. I love the volleyball preteens who come to Zumba after practice, stand in the back and mimic us (ok, well not really them, they're actually pretty annoying, but I like that they're there for volleyball...) I love the yoga instructor who used to be a gymnast and so is fit but doesn't look all regular yoga-y instructor-y lithe... but like a regular person. I love all the different kinds of people who are there.
I do wish it was bigger, there was more parking and they provided towels. So, not all wine and roses with the YMCA, see?
Friday, March 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment