Before the trip, friends who were going and not going and
Charlie asked what I wanted to do that weekend—and sitting in the sunshine at a
bar in Algiers spending the afternoon talking and drinking beers was exactly
that. As was giggling and ordering a second order of fried pickles just because
we wanted it. As was sitting on the patio at night shooting the breeze. As was
manically dancing to 50s songs late night at Mimi’s. Just chill and happy and
easy-going and spontaneous. I got exactly what I wanted and I wasn’t worried
about anything. All of the elements were there for the big fun and if you weren't having it it's because you're lame. Luckily no lame-os allowed. It was wonderful.
I was lying in bed Saturday night, when 3 am and the 3rd
night of fun had left me literally too dizzy to stay upright. And listening to
the sounds of friends who had been strangers making their own memories, staying
up all night. And thinking this will be
the feeling at the end of our wedding.
The big fun is ephemeral, you only get it once (or in this case twice if
you can persuade a dozen amazing women to travel for the big fun) and then it's over and based on what I know about myself I will be trying very hard to enjoy the moment and the fact that it happened rather than be sad that it is over. Gah life, you're so wonderful and hard and hard in your wonderfulness.
I've thought this the last few friend get-togethers- how amazing my friends are in their accomplishments. And not just, like, they're all rich investment bankers and therefore "successful." Because actually none of them are. But they are all truly kicking ass in their respective careers and fields. They are people I'm proud to know and proud of and the longer I've known them kind of take this strange credit in shaping their awesomeness as they've shaped mine. I was tempted to say something like whatever awesomeness I possess, but after drawing the awesome friends for the big fun, I have to somewhat acknowledge if I wasn't at least a little awesome, everyone would have stayed home.
And the friends were also this conglomeration of people committed to fun. Because people who don't sometimes get carried away and stay up too late and who don't think vacation is kind of for excess... well apparently those kinds of friends aren't the kind of friends who stick around. Or self-select for this kind of adventure.
A couple of weeks later, I think back to those days and living in this wonderful feeling like that world was giving back what I've been putting out in it. And that doesn't happen that often, but let me tell you, it feels great.
And I still have a souvenir upper respiratory infection.
Oh. And I got a tattoo.
I've thought this the last few friend get-togethers- how amazing my friends are in their accomplishments. And not just, like, they're all rich investment bankers and therefore "successful." Because actually none of them are. But they are all truly kicking ass in their respective careers and fields. They are people I'm proud to know and proud of and the longer I've known them kind of take this strange credit in shaping their awesomeness as they've shaped mine. I was tempted to say something like whatever awesomeness I possess, but after drawing the awesome friends for the big fun, I have to somewhat acknowledge if I wasn't at least a little awesome, everyone would have stayed home.
And the friends were also this conglomeration of people committed to fun. Because people who don't sometimes get carried away and stay up too late and who don't think vacation is kind of for excess... well apparently those kinds of friends aren't the kind of friends who stick around. Or self-select for this kind of adventure.
A couple of weeks later, I think back to those days and living in this wonderful feeling like that world was giving back what I've been putting out in it. And that doesn't happen that often, but let me tell you, it feels great.
And I still have a souvenir upper respiratory infection.
Oh. And I got a tattoo.

No comments:
Post a Comment