You know that (what a quick google tells me is a Woody Allen) quote about 80% of success being showing up? Well, I had an interview today, which likely won't lead to a job, but this woman loved me. Unfortunately, the timing is off and they've made offers to people they (unbeknown to me) interviewed in August. But the reasons she listed as being impressed by me? I sent her a personalized cover letter, I followed up via email and, for a job with the federal defender, said I wanted to do criminal defense. This all pretty much amounts to "showing up," I think.
The last one, for me, this happens to be completely true but I had to ask, "what do the rest of them SAY?" That they're looking to experiment. Or gain experience. Come on people, it seems like rule one of applying for any job-- telling the job you want to do that job. Is this another case of law students being so impressed with themselves that they think they're qualified for whatever and so don't even have to express interest? Or is it another basic psychology/interpersonal skill that apparently isn't so basic? If I were applying to do, say, corporate tax litigation (Hi, Anwar, you wanted a mention on the blog, right?), which I am not, for the love of logic, I would tell my corporate tax litigation interviewer that I have wanted to do this since receiving my first W2 and all of my touchy feely people-work was somehow preparing me for this, my chosen career.
The best part of the whole experience, which was overall a great one, was talking to someone who really, truly and passionately loves her job and her work. This is a rare find in any field. I told her I was feeling envious while she talked, because that enthusiasm and passion is what I want in my job, no matter where I end up working and am sometimes afraid I won't find. Too often, especially in the legal realm, we're indoctrinated with this idea that life and work are separate and that intellectual challenge is the most one can expect. But sitting there, enjoying the soup she bought me, listening to her say she is intellectually and emotionally fulfilled by her job and the job makes it easier to get out of bed in the morning... well, it got me excited about the future. And how often in this day and age do we have experiences that make us excited about the future-- personally and communally? A good day in Milwaukee.
Tuesday, November 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment