Here's another delicious meal to make. I had these kebabs at my mom's house when we were in Mpls a couple of weeks ago. I dreamed about them for a couple of days and now have just made them for the third time since the Minnesota trip. Actually, this third time they have not actually been prepared, they are marinating. The recipe suggest an hour or so-- if you do that they'll be great. But if you give them 24-48 hours. Wowie.
These are called "Chicken Brochettes in the Style of Fez" and the recipe is from the weekly Splendid Table email from NPR.
You will need: flat metal or bamboo skewers
Advance preparation: 30 minutes to 1 hour for marinating the kebabs
* 1-1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1 x 1 x 1/2 inch pieces
* 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
* 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
* 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, or more mint or cilantro (I use more mint/cilantro since parley is like a fake herb)
* 1-1/2 teaspoons coarse salt (kosher or sea)
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Rinse the chicken under cold running water, then blot it dry with paper towels. I usually forget this step, but will admit it is a best-practice. Place the chicken in a large nonreactive mixing bowl. Add 2 tablespoons each of the mint, cilantro, and parsley and the salt, cumin, turmeric, and pepper, and stir to mix. Stir in the oil. Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator, covered, for 30 minutes to 1 hour. (or 2 days if you're thinking ahead of time)
2. Thread the chicken through the thin side onto skewers so that the flat side of the chicken will be exposed to the fire.
3. Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat it to high.
4. When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate (I don't do this, my chicken sticks). Arrange the chicken brochettes on the hot grate and grill them until golden brown and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
I would suggest serving them with tzatziki, I like this recipe and Israeli couscous. Because I love Israeli couscous so much more than regular couscous.
The kebabs and tzatziki are also great things to make a lot of and eat over several days. You can even conserve some uncooked chicken to continue marinating and have delicious dinners for days
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment