Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Recuerdo



This is a small story about this ring. My dad's dad (who died when my dad was 23, long before I was born) gave it to my grandma when they were dating. Then my dad gave it to my mom as an engagement ring. Then my mom gave it to me, a number of years ago. I wore it regularly and then one day- pop- hit it against a wall or something while it was on my hand and took a chunk out of the moonstone. And then it sat in my mom's jewelery box for probably 10 years. When I was home weekend before last, I took it back and brought it into a jeweler here. The size of the stone was slightly irregular and so on, but I picked it up today. It looks lovely, it's back on my finger, all polished and looks better than I've ever seen it since it came to me after 60+ years of... love . The jeweler was confused that it was an engagement ring, "well, I've never seen a moonstone for an engagement before" but admired it's art deco style. I love it. I'm so glad to have it back and to have a little piece of grandma (and my parents) on my finger.

4 comments:

chaz said...

"its"

Sarah said...

I saw that, I thought it lent authenticity. Also, it's awesome how you only comment to correct me. It's.

Fletch said...

Wear it to the weekend celebrations! I spent some time looking at moon stone rings for Lauren's engagement ring 'cause their so pretty.

chaz said...

@sarah - ;

@flauren - they're