Tuesday, June 05, 2007

I'm Don't Have a Job to Offer You...

The start of the clinic last week felt a lot like summer driver's ed or something... mostly familiar faces back in the law school building, sitting through lectures and doing some hands-on stuff... Anyway, there were a lot of "getting to know you." There are only 4 people in my project within the clinic, which means we spend a lot, a lot of time together. Our desks are all in a row, we share a "party line" telephone and we drive to and from the prison together, 1.5 hours each way.
Anyway, in all the "getting to know you" stuff, it started getting so annoying. Annoying because these people are law students and while most of my favorite people in the world are current or former law students... we all know they are SO annoying. So people are introducing themselves, giving brief little biographical sketches... but they all sound like personal statements. And personal statements that all kind of sound the same, except emphasizing whatever they think is the interesting thing about themselves. I hope I don't do this. I think I do, if only because I am so bad at self-promotion that I'd rather recite some boiler-plate explanation of how I am where I am now.
Anyway. The clinic continues to be very interesting. I interviewed two of my clients on Friday, really nice guys. I am taking on more clients and at work on the other cases, it's learning in a whole different way than I was all year. And I like it. I also really, really like having a desk again. I didn't even realize I was missing it, but being able to work and keep my stuff out at a place in the school is totally awesome. Even though I have to buy my own office supplies... er... but I have a desk!

No comments: