Monday, September 17, 2007

Last Refuge of the Feeble-minded

My supervising attorney/clinical professor from this summer had us do this reading in the beginning of the summer, it was basically about how law school f's you up and why lawyers are bad writers. Especially why law students are bad writers. It's the whole interesting theory about when you're put into a new environment and learning things quickly, you revert. It's a kind of defense mechanism. Which explains why I am a worse speller than... well, I have ever been. And why I am never sure of a single grammar or punctuation rule. Ok, so the effect is supposed to be wearing off by now... but stay with me.
So I am in this seminar with 20 or so graduate students, PhDs in Sociology and Latin American History, some Education. And I really haven't felt this useless for awhile. Granted, we've only had two classes... but I am sooo out of practice. When the Argentine education PhD refers to Foucault's theory of Power... my blood runs cold. Not because I've never heard of this, but because I have... but... goddamn it... it seems so long ago... and my head is so full of eminent domain and supremacy clause and consideration and jurisdiction. Tort! Tort! And all three times I've spoken, I've gotten the distinct feeling they're all humoring me. "Uhhhh.... huh...." It's kind of a raw deal, because they can all bring up whatever they've been writing dissertations on... and out of fear of being "law girl," I kept quiet when I actually knew something they didn't about International Law. Damn them.
Anyway, I am hoping this is another case of being torn down before being put back together and the feeling will pass. Because, my god, if I am going to feel like I waste of space every Friday from 2:30-5pm... it should be because I am hungover.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I've read Foucault too but I still didn't know what someone in my class meant when he referred to the author at hand as having a "post-Foucaultian moment...