Sunday, July 27, 2008

Spiders & the South

You know the urban legend about how you swallow seven spiders in your sleep over the average lifetime?
I think most places folks average 0 or 1... And the deep south brings up the average. There are so many spiders in my apartment! And strangely, I don't think I've seen the same kind twice. They also don't seem to bite. Which, you know, is a good characteristic of anything that tries to share my bed.

Today at TJ Maxx here, I saw a white teen wearing a shirt with a confederate flag on it, that said, "if this offends you, you need a history lesson." I am curious about the content of this lesson. And also wondering where they sell the complementary shirt, with a picture of that shirt on it that says, "if you wear this shirt in public, you need an ass-kicking."

2 comments:

Fletch said...

I just finished reading "Confederates in the Attic" and I think that you might be able to find your flag lesson in there. Probably won't help you any with the spiders.

Anonymous said...

careful use of complementary instead of complimentary. that's why i like you.