Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Resolved

I don't think I really made a New Year resolution before last year. Like, a real, tangible one I could hold myself accountable for. My previous "resolutions" were things like to be nicer... but I think I've made some major gains in the past 1, 2, 5, 10 years. I see a difference, at least. I am a lot less angry than I was, I am still working on keeping "mean" in the realm of sassiness.
Last year, I privately resolved to avoid bottled water. Kind of for environmental reasons, kind of just because it seemed like a good idea. Now, the environmental angle has some flaws because choosing a soda or bottled juice instead is still problematic, but in 2008 I drank predominantly water from the tap/Brita, coffee and diet coke. Don't make me give up the Diet Coke...
This year the best resolution I can come up with is to run the Madison Crazylegs at the end of April. It's a 5 mile fun-run type thing, starting at the capitol and going all around the isthmus. Now, my limited readership probably knows, I am not a runner. This fall was probably my most concerted effort at becoming one... and I was sidelined by insane shin splints. So, I am back with a ease-in-to-it plan and some good (expensive-ish) insoles.
So, I won't go so far as to vlog it. But for the first time, I am making my New Year's resolutions public. So enjoy it and I'll let you know how it goes.
In other news, I found myself at a bit of a loss in writing New Years cards (they are like xmas cards but 50% off and for people with finals.... also everyone is forced to abide by the Roman calendar...) In the past, well, as long as I have been writing them, I have wished people a better next year than this year. Because each year was so disastrous and depressing. 2008 has been pretty amazing, though. And since none of my recipients have 401ks worth noting... I guess my wish for us all is to have a 2009 on par with 2008. I hope 2009 is filed with excitement and community and inclusion and hard work and big fun.
I got this CD from MoveOn.org in 2004, which includes the song "This Will Be Our Year" by Ok Go. I just realized I am a little bit fearful of resting on laurels and thinking that "our year" just happened. It didn't. 2009 will surely be a challenge, still. But 2008 really did convice me that we're up to it.

Ok, enough slop. Now enjoy the song (please ignore the Finding Nemo graphics)-- and HAPPY NEW YEAR!:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

serli knows this, no doubt, but for the benefit of the readership, this is a cover of a zombies song.