Tuesday, July 14, 2009

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Democrats

This is all a little tongue in cheek, but I've really been appreciate President Obama and the dems lately. Maybe because I am the not-working poor.

Some examples:
I listened to a lot of NPR on my drive home from Michigan yesterday. Judge (soon to be Justice?) Sotomayor is so great. What a cool, calm, collected, smart, experienced choice she was. Also, this is maybe my law nerd side, but everyone needs to shut up about how judges are supposed to be umpires. This may be more true in trial court or even appellate court. But one thing I learned from my stint at the WI Supreme Court to a lesser extent, is that cases only get up to that level because they are tough calls. And because both sides have a strong argument and could possibly prevail. Sometimes precedent needs to be overturned-- or we'd be stuck with b.s. like segregation. I know she wasn't supposed to say it, but Sotomayor's quote about policy being made in federal appellate courts... is true. And I for one would rather have someone smart and fair who understands how it works. She's totally not perfect, seems to be really law & order (not in the re-run good way) and pro-prosecution, but criminal cases are really infrequently heard by the Court, comparatively. And I'd rather have that lady, with her experiences and biases, evaluating my case than Clarence Thomas. Once he figures out how to tie his shoe. Also, hip hip hooray for Al Franken's first, well, really anything since getting sworn in. He was smart and humble, I thought. Just how I like my men...

Ok, also, I was getting really jazzed about Dr. Regina Benjamin for Surgeon General. Maybe I'm being naive and we'll learn she has a Cruella DeVille coat made of puppies... but so far, she looks awesome. Coastal Alabaman community doctor for the poor?? Swoon. Again, good work President Obama.

Now on to the personal. I just renewed a book from the Madison Public Library online. This may sound simple, but it's really, really cool that there is a free place that anyone can go and get books. Kids and moms and homeless people and-- me! So, thanks, government for funding the library.

My foodstamps card came finally! I'm officially on the dole. No, this is not how I pictured life after law school... but I am very happy to live in a society where we have things like food stamps. And I will continue to happily pay into these programs for the rest of my working life.

And, finally, thanks to the Dems for getting me relatively cheap COBRA health insurance coverage. You guys are the best!!

No comments: