1. The mayor of Flagstaff is a 28 year old public defender named Sara. I'm not kidding.
2. I found us a really wonderful place today, here's hoping the applications go through. For about $80 more per month than we pay now in Madison, we'd live in a 2+ bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage. It's a super-nice place in a this cool kind of residential cabins in the pines area south of town- apparently originally founded for places for Phoenixers to escape the heat. There's lots of room for visitors and delish meals... think about it blogreaders. We're getting a good deal because the house is on the market, so we pay cheaper rent in exchange for them being able to show it-- and us leaving with 30 days notice. It's kind of ideal for the situation we're in and assuming it goes through, will be a huge relief to know we're going to land somewhere so awesome when we head this way with the u-haul in a few weeks. Yikes!
3. Holy crap! The Hyundai Accent is a total piece of crap... but got over 40 miles to the gallon on the last tank. What's wrong with my KIA? Oh, maybe that I don't worry it won't get over a hill? That's probably it.
4. I'd read that Flagstaff was a "dark-sky city" or, I guess, the first dark-sky city. I wasn't sure what it would look like and stayed out a little later tonight to check it out (this missing 3/4 of Daily Show/Colbert...!) I can't describe it very well... it's just... darker. There are street lights, but they, like all the other lights, are just dimmer. The Safeway looked closed, for example, I guess that's something to get used to. Supposedly the stars are awesome here because of the lack of light pollution, but the cloudy "monsoon season" skies will have to clear to see them.
5. Things to remember: Prescott, AZ is "press kit." Verde Valley is "ver-dee." Guess the girl from the land of Nick-o-let Ave. should stop throwing stones (in Milwaukee and France, it's Nick-o-lay.)
6. Don't worry, I've already scoped the local Target and driven passed Old Navy & Marshalls... I've also been listening KNAU, Flagstaff Public Radio (they broadcast in Spanish translation some place. Um... swoon!) All are important to me and all are up to snuff.
7. I think I really like it here. I was definitely apprehensive yesterday (and would be lying if I said I was no longer apprehensive) but it's really grown on me. Maybe it was the hefeweizen on the patio for lunch at Flagstaff Brewing Company? Maybe it was figuring our my way around or the charming downtown? It's funny, though, because in some ways has made me realized how accustomed I've gotten to my quasi-urban lifestyle. It'll definitely be different, we get a house... but sacrifice the gym around the corner and bars and restaurants up the street. But... we're landing in a good place for now.
Now about that pesky employment situation...

1 comment:
so happy to read this. see, dalasie doesn't know EVERYTHING.
Post a Comment