Friday, April 17, 2009

I'll tell you...

I am lying in bed with a sad, sick dog right now. When he's sick, he
gets extra affectionate, nuzzling up even more than usual. It's sweet
and pathetic all at once. But, I came home yesterday, midmorning,
pretty upset. I'd been walking a few blocks, letting my mad/sad
fester and by the time I walked in the front door, was verging on
tears. One of those stressed upsetnesses where things seem to
snowball and part of the problem becomes the fact that you're right
now wasting time being upset when there is so much else to do.
Anyway. I walked in the door, Aberdeen bounded to meet me. Like
usual, he brought a welcome-home toy in his mouth. And then he
followed me into the bedroom and gave me all kinds of doggie love
while I tried to figure out how upset I was. And I thought, THIS is
why people have dogs. That unconditional love they talk about?
Sometimes that feels really nice.
The least I can do tonight is return the favor.

No comments: