We closed yesterday-- finally! And so we have a house. In preparation, we've been watching lots and lots of HGTV. Um, that channel is deceptive. This was all way more agonizing and complicated than they make it look. Apparently you can't believe everything you see on television. But now it's over! Our realtor and I hugged twice when he dropped off the key...
Last night we had a snowstorm. We took Aberdeen, subway sandwiches and the bottle of wine from the realtor over to the house (the moving is happening actually right now, while I type.) We got giddy, we made plans. We tried to make rules about the number of functional repairs we'll do per cosmetic change. "But... um, painting doesn't count as cosmetic, right??" Charlie teased me for postulating that MAYBE under the carpeting in the other rooms on the first floor, there would be beautiful, pristine hardwood floors like there are in the kitchen and living room. He suggested it's also possible there is gold under the carpeting. We laughed at the weird parts of the house (why does the carpeting in the bedroom make crinkling noises??) and realized we like the kitchen cabinets more than we thought. We experienced a bit of the reality of single-pane windows and no heat source in the master bedroom. We talked islands and banisters and dog gates and patios to barbeque on.
And, at about 9, we went back to our rented house. And made a fire. And watched more HGTV.
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I am so happy and excited for you guys. I can't wait to see how you make it your own.
CONGRATS!! I'm so glad it all worked out! Home-owning is fun and very adult-like, and only a pain in the ass when you have to do stupid stuff like fix the furnace. Yay for you guys!! :)
Post a Comment