I was formulating this whole post about how lovely it was that it was supposed to snow yesterday, but instead has been sunny in the 50s. And how cute college kids are and how I see them and remember me/us and feel happy as well as excited for reunion. But, meh, who wants to read all that happy stuff, wouldn't we all let me complain?
Today I found my first gray hair. This is combined with my visit last week to the nutritionist and nurse practitioner to once again address the cholesterol situation. My cholesterol is high again, as it was two years ago. But then it wasn't when it was tested in Madison in December 06. Weird, right? Well, it's nice to have health care providers who are competent and nice. Like I could tell the nutritionist, hey, listen, I am not perfect and there are definitely ways I can improve my diet... but I am also frustrated because I do already do the big things. This is contrast to the Brooklyn Dr. who gave me the sage advice to eat chicken instead of beef and use olive oil to cook instead of... I don't even know, lard? That made me mad. Anyway, these health care professionals were good. And I gave them a good challenge with my vastly different cholesterol readings. The NP suggested it may have to do with the fact that I had been off birth control from 8 months or so when I had the good test. And apparently birth control can raise cholesterol. UMMMMM... this is interesting, but does it strike anyone else as irresponsible? I mean, I know that reproductive years are not the ones where women are most at risk for heart disease... but it's also a period when women's cholesterol is likely not being monitored and so all that crazy plaque and whatever can just accumulate like nothing.
Anyway, the point is that I am back to a low-saturated fat, low-cholesterol diet. When I drink, I get heart palpitations (for which I am now taking medication daily) and now I have gray hair. Basically, it is a very exciting time to be me.
Wednesday, April 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I was shopping in Macy's with Kellie when I found my first gray hair. I immediatly called Momo and angrily said, "Uhh. Mom, I just found my first gray hair. WTF."
Her response, "Wait until you find your first gray pubic hair."
Post a Comment