I woke up this morning at about 8 to a huge thunder and lightning storm. So this is unusual for the morning, most anywhere, right? I had had big plans for the morning, since I have to go in to do first appearances this afternoon. I wanted to go grocery shopping and various other errands. So the storm went on until about 10:30 and finally stopped. I got dressed and hit the road. Things were wet and saturated, but I headed west to the next parish over for some big box shopping. Once I got over to this shopping area, the water started to get deeper and deeper. There were tons of cars and people pulled into the center divider. I didn't have my cell phone or know exactly where I was. Everything was going very slowly and eventually the water was about halfway up the door of the truck. It seemed to be getting deeper as I went, the lanes going the other way were obviously deeper than where I was... but I least I knew it got better going that way. So I turned around and spent 5-10 minutes terrified the truck would eventually just quit. I could hear water coming in somewhere.... fuck fuck fuck fuck. I could see the road going up over an overpass, so I just kept going, whimpering "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon...."
The story ends with me going to a grocery store closer to home, noticing that the bed of the truck had, in fact, gotten wet... and while I know flooding has been serious up north, too... learning an important lesson about not fucking with water here in New Orleans. You can read about it here.
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
please be careful. love, your nagging wife.
Post a Comment