Saturday, June 21, 2008

Sorry

I am a bad blogger, a bad phone caller, a bad emailer lately. So many things happen every day, it's really very tiring. I could probably just blog each day's events and it would be interesting to read about. Today was a day that peoples' situations really got to me. I was driving home, thinking about the situations people are in, what happens to them (ok, not even people in general, but my clients in this system) and realized that my heart gets broken, like, 16 times per day. I feel well-prepared and the legal part is fine, the human suffering part really overwhelmed me today. I feel a little like a medic in a war zone, seeing terrible things constantly and people on the worst day of their lives. It's dramatic, but also true. For some reason one of our newer clients, who offered a police officer oral sex for $20, really got to me. I mean, the state of this woman's life that she needs that $20 so badly... that was the #13 heartbreak today.
Anyway, in typical legal and New Orleans fashion, I dealt with this all by getting drunk. I went to a fantastic and scary bar near the office where every beer is $1 and then out and about... including walking around the french quarter and the marigny drinking a six pack of miller lite out of plastic cups. And watching a scene from a new Carmen Electra movie be shot. It is ingeniously entitled "Mardi Gras."

The dialogue I saw went like this:
An ugly white guy and a pretty black girl standing in a "mardi gras" crowd full of families. A brass band is passing playing "when the saints go marching in."

Him: When are we going to get back to Mardi Gras?
Her: This IS Mardi Gras! Mardi Gras isn't just Girls Gone Wild. It's more than tits and beads, it's a celebrate of our city, of our people. That man right there (the grand marshall) has been doing this for over 40 years! C'mon, show me what you've got!

And then he fat-guy comedically dances off scene, following the grand marshall.

Needless to say, I felt nauseated and it looks like a hit.

No comments: