Sunday, February 15, 2009

Recipe Ideas

Hi Friends,
Here are some recipes I've made recently. They're all relatively easy, very tasty and good for people with cholesterol situations.

Asian Chicken Cabbage Salad- pretty simple, healthy and has a nice flavor. Cabbage is supposed to be so good for you. Nutrition and so on. Go ahead and invest in sesame oil, a teeny amount really makes the difference in dishes like this.

Aloo Gobi- you know, that delicious cauliflower and potato dish you may recognize from the Indian Buffet? One thing I'd recommend before jumping in to too many Indian or Indian-inspired dishes is checking your local co-op for bulk spices. We belong to Willy St., but it's only a 10% surcharge if you don't belong. And the spices are SO much cheaper this way. Like I have been buying 2-3 oz. of spices for under $1/each. And also you can just get as much as you'll need, so if it's something more unusual you're not stuck with a buch of leftover that will just go stale. Of course, then you'll probably need these like me, too.

Vegetable and Chickpea Curry- this stuff is amazingly delicious. I forgot to buy green beans last time and so made it without, which was still great but I am looking forward to making it again.

Slow Cooker Chicken Chili- Ok, I made this with ground Turkey. And the tapioca aspect is pretty weird. I mean, it's not like you notice it, it's just strange. But this stuff is good, the best addition is the shredded sweet potatoes (a superfood!). Uncharacteristically, I did not add the beer. I love beans. All beans.

Speaking of beans. I have been making a delicious Southwestern Black Bean Salad. Kind of an amalgam of different recipes-- black beans, corn, green peppers, red onions, some red wine vinegar, some olive oil, cumin, salt & pepper. Maybe a minced hot pepper like jalapeno or serrano. Kind of like this.

Speaking more of beans, I am working my way through the 7 lb. can purchased at 40%. Last night I made these Bean and 'Bello Burgers, and I highly recommend them. I used twice as much Worcestire because Charlie is afraid of mustard, I might next time add some salt, but I do like my stuff salty.

3 comments:

kristina said...

what would happen if you put sweet potatoes in the vegetable and chick pea curry? sounds yummy, right?

Sarah said...

Yeah, man. The regular potatoes are a great part of the veggie curry, so sweet n' spicy ones would be tasty for sure. SUPERFOODS!

Lauren said...

we used to put mango and avocado in the black bean salad. also shallots and cilantro. mmm.