I confused my mom greatly by using "sick" to mean good this weekend. I also saw "SiCKO" and one thing that really resonated was the amount of control the government and corporations retain over our lives through debt. By putting us in hock for school and medical bills, we're much more dependent on our jobs and will tolerate much more than we otherwise would. And so then people say we couldn't have socialized medicine because taxes would go up. How much would I rather have had FREE college and paid more income taxes? SOOOO much. Hey, actually, about $30,000 worth. And free law/grad school? Oh, about $120,000. And how much for no insurance premiums and reasonable prescription costs? Oh, let's say another $50,000 over a lifetime. How much would they have to additionally tax me to get $200,000 over my working lifetime? Assuming I can a) get a job and b) retire from it-- we're talking $5,000 more in taxes per year over a 40 year working life. I doubt it would be that much... but thats also fine with me. I have super-digressed... I wanted to bring your attention to this and encourage you to write an email/make a phone call:
http://collegeaffordabilitynow.org/
Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment