Sunday, March 01, 2009

Nothing Like a Little Righteous Indignation on a Sunday Morning

Dear One A Day:

I was shocked to see the One A Day Teen commercial recently and again surprised to see the same sexist junk on your website. Advertising Teen Advantage vitamins that give her clear skin and him strong muscles is a continuation of the silly, sexist and divisive rhetoric we've been seeing for years- girls' main concern should be being pretty and boys' being strong. Vitamins are ostensibly a health aid and the way One a Day has chosen to market Teen Advantage makes it clear that you are far less concerned with healthy teens than furthering gender stereotypes. I am not sure whether the 1960 ad agency from Mad Men came up with this campaign, but I am writing to tell you that here in 2009 this kind of sexist stereotyping ensures I will never buy your product.

Sarah

2 comments:

kristina said...

i hope you sent that.

anyway, everyone knows that all teens need the same thing: a swift kick in the ass.

Sarah said...

Oh, I sent that. But I am not sure what I'll do with the potential free things I could get... clearer skin?