Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Am I a nerd?

I've started biking again since the weather has gotten nicer. And a couple of weeks ago, I was at Target, in the bike aisle, and a couple of thoughts came to me-- one was my Torts professor last semester telling us that since we were trying to make our careers based on our minds... we should wear bike helmets to protect our investment. And then my thoughts turned to the nearly $300,000 worth of education I'll have by 2010.... (holy. fuck.) And so I bought a helmet. Kind of a cool one with flames on the sides. And I've been wearing it and trying to feel hardcore about it instead of like a nerd. But I still feel like a nerd. And like riding through campus there are a lot of 19 yr old from Wauwatosa who are judging me as such. Which is fine... kind of... right? This is just something I guess I will have to grapple with on my own. But if you see me nerding out with the helmet, just know I am a little sensitive about it...

2 comments:

Alison Plenge said...

I hear you about the helmet. Colin gave me his old one when I moved to Davis, and I wore it once in August when it was 104 outside and 135 inside my helmet...and I never wore it again. Because if I am not even going to wear proper shoes when I bike, why would I wear a helmet?

A few weeks ago, Colin was looking for something in a closet and found the helmet shoved in the back...in a place where it would clearly NOT be if worn every day. And he asked me if I have been wearing the helmet. And I said, "No--it makes me hot." And he said, "Well, that sounds pretty stupid." And for perhaps like, the third time ever, I had nothing to say in response.

He's right, you're right, and maybe I should take a lesson from all of these signs pointing toward the inevitable conclusion that not wearing a helmet is a bad idea.

Julia B said...

i wear my helmet, but i only ride for fun, so i also wear workout gear and have a water bottle and stuff. somehow, that makes it less nerdy abnd more like i am training for a triathalon. riding to class in regular clothes is a little different, so you are a nerd. but as we learned in revenge of the nerds and other movies about them, nerds win out in the long run.