Monday, April 09, 2007

Totally Moot

So it's Moot Court write-on season here at law school... they distributed these packets right before Spring Break and a brief based on the situation and cases provided is due on Wednesday. Then, next week, folks will present oral arguments on the same case. So for those of you not in law school-- Moot Court is a competition, or a bunch of competitions, where students prepare briefs and oral arguments and compete against teams from other schools. Moot Court, like everything else in law school, is taken way too seriously. First, over break, there was a scandal, wherein 30 or so people were accidentally given packets a day late and were then emailed over break, telling them they couldn't try out anymore. You take a bunch of first-year law students, tell them something is vaguely and abstractly important to their future and then tell them they can't do it? Obviously, there was a virtual explosion. The Moot Court board, obviously, thinks they are gate-keepers to the most important thing ever and the shut-out competitors all of the sudden think this means they will never get a job. Moot madness.
I picked up a packet, but within 20 minutes decided I didn't want to try-out. But I'm on this email list, where competitors ask questions anonymously and all of the questions and answers are distributed to the entire list. So, over the past 10 days, I've received at least one per day, sometimes 4, with 1-6 questions in each. The gist? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?? These are my peers, friends... Here's a sample:

Q: With regard to question 2, the assignment packet says that we do not need to cite to the record in our brief. That is still correct, right?

Q: Should point headings also be double spaced, or just the body text of
the statement of facts and argument?

Q: Page numbers are left-aligned bottom of the page or the top of the page?

Q: Also, you stated that justification should be set at left when answering a question concerning where headings should be place. However, justification and indentation are not the same; something can be justified left and still indented. Are there guidelines about where the headings should be place or is it not important?

Q: I know that the justification is to be set at the left, but I was wondering whether the sections of the titles, for example "Question Presented" may be centered, because the sample briefs show the titles centered.

Q: You say that titles need to be centered...Does this include the titles for our own subsections of our argument?

Q: Is there any chance of posting all of these questions and answers on a website so that we needn't sift through our e-mails to find them?





3 comments:

Erica said...

Jeeeeeeeeeeeez.

Alison Plenge said...

I just made it on the Jessup International Moot Court Team at UC-Davis. But as far as I know, people weren't asking idiotic questions. Or, I wasn't exposed to them. I think the write-on law review process is gonna bring out the real gems, though.

Anonymous said...

this is why i refuse to attend optional classes. one of my newly-realized pet peeves are other people's asinine questions.