Sunday, April 08, 2007

Two ways to skin a cat...


So I used to think that "only the good die young" was a kind of morose statement, bemoaning the fact that everyone good dies young. Then Billy Joel reminded us we should think of it as encouragement to be bad... long life.

Similarly, the Milwaukee D.A. spoke to our Crim Procedure class a few weeks ago and among other things, there were 108 or so murders in Milwaukee last year. Now this is disturbing, but once he told us only 3 of the victims were white... well all of the sudden Milwaukee looks like the safest place in the country for a white girl to move...

In New Orleans, the Orleans Parish Prison is inscribed with the phrase, "This is a Government of Laws, Not of Men." Until I wikipedied it a few minutes ago, I thought this was one of the creepiest things I'd ever heard. Shouldn't we create human and humane governments and shouldn't the laws be derived from humans, not subjectively created? Well, then I read this and turning it all around into an issue of separation of powers and governmental accountability to the people... well I guess it's less creepy. And while skinning cats is also creepy, sometimes its justified.

No comments: