So you may know that, like most white people, I think David Sedaris is very funny. And one of my favorite of his stories is the one about Dutch Christmas traditions. If you're not familiar, you should watch/listen to this before proceeding.
When I worked at summer camp, there was a lot of international staff and two dutch dudes there taught me how to say "where is the bathroom" and "do you want to fuck?" in dutch. So, generally, those were my go-to conversation topics with dutch people I met... but now I have this Christmas story. So last night I was hanging out with a dutch exchange student and decided to try it out. Keep in mind I am pretty sure Sedaris embellished the story a little, because it is too bizarre and hilarious. So I tell the dutchman that I read a story about Christmas in the Netherlands, and, well, I am not sure if this is true, but...
Me: So Santa, er, I mean, St. Nicholas... he used to be the bishop of Turkey?
Him: Yes.
Me: And he lives in Spain?
Him: Yes.
Me: And he comes in early December?
Him: Yes, he comes the 5th of December.
Me: Uh-huh, ok, and he brings six to eight black men with him?
Him: Well... he brings as many black men as he wants.
I really almost died. Especially funny because I don't believe everyone else there had heard this story before, so it just sounds like I am spinning bizarre garbage and then there is this twenty year old Dutch kid telling us that, no, in fact, Santa has access to unlimited black man helpers.
We then spent some time scheming on how to get him into the bar... something I haven't done in a long time and didn't think I would have to do again. Apparently leaving him outside and then telling the bouncer that there is a cold international student who is only 20 outside works.
Friday, February 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment