
I was at my cousin's wedding this weekend in Indianapolis. Not to be confused with Minneapolis a la my freshman year roommate's dad. "So have you ever been to the Indy 500?" "Uh... no... have you?"
It was really, really fun. After so many sad extended family gatherings over the past 2 and half years or so, it was really great for everyone to be there for something like this. The rehearsal dinner was Friday night at the NCAA Hall of Stars, the wedding in Indy's oldest Catholic church and the reception at the old train station. Everything really beautiful. Also a huge wedding-- 8 bridesmaids and 8 groomsmen should give you an idea of the makeup of the 380-person wedding.
I realized a few things over this weekend...
* I am the most eligible cousin. The groom did his best to introduce me around, but I really should have specified that my search does actually extended beyond someone to "love and tolerate." I should have included "not conservative" and "doesn't live in Indiana."
* If you get married at 30, there will be A LOT of pregnant women there. Jesus.
* My extended family is so fun (booze is integral to this) and I wish there were more cousins to marry off sooner rather than later so we can do it again.
* I have no desire to live in Indy.
* Genetics are a very real thing.
* Everyone in my family is crazy, myself included. But hopefully not AS crazy.
On a completely different note, I am very, very, very much enjoying the new The Hold Steady album (thank you, Pete.) It's kind of like finding some lost early Bruce tracks... with a generous helping of Twin Cities geography and an update sound. Pretty much my dream.

No comments:
Post a Comment