Blogging to you from outside the NWA World Club at Detroit Airport... mostly, just because I can and I am kind of pleased with the cleverness of stealing internet here.
So far this travel as been notable for a few things:
1. There were 3 people, not traveling together, with Downs Syndrome on the flight from Madison to Detroit. I found this curious.
2. The flight from Madison to Detroit is also curiously short at 42 minutes. Lake Michigan foils us again.
3. Another good thing about Madison is the 15 min and $10 it takes to get to the airport by taxi. Also, because Madison has shared taxis (not just for the developing world, anymore...) I was also treated to a conversation between the driver and another passenger, both pretty thugged out which was basically "cold enough for you?" Except using different words. I found it funny that all small talk is the same, no matter who is doing the talking.
4. Having finally figured out how to rip movies onto my ipod, I watched the first 20 minutes of Ferris Bueller on the flight. Unnecessary not only because I also had my computer with me, so I could have just watched it on there. But also because at this point, I pretty much have the movie memorized, so I could have just played it in my head and not had to turn it off once we started our descent.
5. I was also thinking about phases I go through in air travel. Like whether I'm in a tomato juice, diet coke or cranberry juice mood on the flight. Whether I do the crossword puzzle, whether to read, listen to music or, now, watch a movie. I always read the inflight magazine, though. And less Skymall than I used to. Or how I went for about a year really enjoying sit-down meals by myself at mediocre airport family dining-- highlights have been Harry Carey's at O'Hare where I got quite drunk by accident, a really good $15 hamburger in a restaurant at Bradley Airport (the name I can't remember) and too many Chili's Toos to name. Now I am more into exploring the airport, walking down each concourse and trying to find the secret things about that particular one. Like the free internet here, for example.
Thursday, December 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment