Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Huh.

1. Library: Yesterday. 12:45 pm. I have been there since 10 am. Friends left an hour earlier, came back ten minutes earlier. As we're whispering, a girl at the next table says, "You have been talking the entire time I have been here. Please stop." I mean, I know people get angry when you point out their rude behavior (which is why I never want to... because I know it makes me resent the person and for whatever lame reason, I don't want the rude person to resent me?) BUT. This girl was totally off base-- it was patently untrue. Besides, as the signs at Olin would remind us, "THIS IS NOT A SILENT STUDY SPACE."

2. On the bus coming home: Yesterday. 3:47pm. The bus is crowded and bunch of more people are trying to get on. There is a small amount of space I'd have to step up to occupy, this girl says, "Um, you need to step up." So I step up, the person in front moves a little more in, and I say, "Oh, do I NEED to stand here now?" She gives me some lame blabber about how her coworkers are getting in a few stops and it would suck it they couldn't get on the bus. UM.... a) "you need" is how you talk to children. I know, because this is how I would talk to kids the preschool-- "you need to sit down for snack now." b) screw your "coworkers," there are a lot of people who are actually here who may not be able to get on the bus. c) COWORKERS? Listen, you little jerk, I'll tell you about jobs and coworkers and your lame-ass after school volunteer job does not count. d) Don't tell me how to ride the goddamned bus. I know how to ride the bus.

So Minnesota-nice may stand, but Wisconsin-nice is bullshit. And, despite my aversion to confrontation, apparently there is enough New York left in me to allow me to get really, really angry about things like this. Can't these people see I am a 1L on the verge of a nervous breakdown? I should have crushed their skulls with my Torts book. For the law students among us, we can now all have a nerdy little laugh at the irony of that. For the non-law students, I can explain it later. Once I figure out what a "tort" is.

I also saw Borat last night, which was really funny. Not sure how the jewjokes played to the drunkish outstate Wisconsin undergrad crowd (Madison actually does have a respectably-sized Jewish population, considering.) But I liked it. I was also reminded of how law school ruins everything because running through my mind the whole time were the contract suits brought by the frat boys and the town... but, whatevs.

No comments: