Sunday, October 29, 2006

Halloween

So Madison is famous for its Halloween party on State St. And I guess I had to check it out, since Madison isn't famous for much... I thought it kind of, well, sucked. I mean, in past years there was the risk of being tear-gassed, bonfires, SOMETHING... this just seemed to be waiting in line for 45 minutes to go to the same shitty bars that are always there.
Anyway, this is what I looked like, I was a Chili Pepper:


The scene on State was still kind of chaotic. There were a lot of costumes, and some were good. A lot of Capt. Morgan/Pirate of the Caribbean-- which seemed weirdly out of date to me. Ditto on the huge number of Waldos. We did wonder what University Health Services treated more the week following Halloween-- pneumonia or STDs? Um, maybe both.


Anyway, THIS costume particularly depressed me. If you can't tell, its a guy wearing a "just engaged" sign who is chained by the leg to a rolling board his fiance is sitting on, dressed like a black ball. Ha ha, right? They had another friend helping to push the board along who was dressed as priest.

I found this depressing because not only am I looking into the future, hoping to find another person I can love and tolerate in the long-term, but I also have to weed out the folks who think that "the old ball and chain" is a good Halloween costume. So it's not even really a matter of finding someone to love and tolerate-- it's also someone who thinks of this whole enterprise as a partnership and all kinds of other hippie shit I believe in.

Anyway, I also got into an altercation with a guy dressed up as a "mammogram provider." For obvious reasons, I hope. I may have said things like, "has this ACTUALLY worked? How many boobs have you felt tonight?" and ended with "p.s., breast cancer ISN'T FUNNY!!!!" as he ran away.

2 comments:

kristina said...

I'm going to call you out on this one. Breast cancer is just as funny as Mark Foley's pedophilia a la sandwich board instant message costume.

Also, while I oppose the use of "ball and chain" as a term to describe a life partner, I think that Halloween costume is pretty good. They should have switched roles thoughm, to be more creative.

Fletch said...

I guess that this is goodbye for us then. Personally, I found that costume pretty funny. Just wait until you've woken up next to the same face for many, many years and then hope that you have the sense of humor to poke fun at your own situation.