Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Something Annoying

Is not only having Torts at 7:45 am... which, I'll be honest, happens twice a week and it is completely dark when I wake up at 6:15. Which is annoying as hell.
BUT, what I at this moment find most annoying is the "awwwww" that the Torts class just emitted when the professor referred to a cow getting run over by a train. In 1902. I have always hated this. Like, where was the "awwww" when on Monday we talked about the clergyman who sodomized the 7 year old? Or the woman who faceplanted onto a steam pipe and burned off her face? Or the woman who poisoned her toddler neice to collect on the insurance? Why didn't we "awwwww" then?
I always think of watching this documentary in Theory of Knowledge senior year in high school about Coney Island. The "Awwwww" that arose out of the electrocution of Topsy the violent elephant who killed 3 people in 1903... made me want to puke. It's so lame and stupid-- for all the human pain and suffering and terrible things people do on purpose... you're going to prioritize your sympathies to an accident involving a cow 104 years ago. Is it possible something worse has happened since then?
Why don't you "Awww" that, jerkface?

2 comments:

Juliet said...

In elementary school we didn't have things like text books. And so we were subjected to a lot of slide shows. I remember one time we were all sitting on the floor watching a series of photographs of jungle animals. The class responded to each photo with that exact samw "awwww." I mean this was in the 80's, but I guess it's still happening. They got this rhythm going. Gorilla baby...Awww Hippo...Awww Monkey...Awww Lion Cub...Awww Cheetah couple...Awww Snake Hatching from an Egg....Silence...and then one boy started an "Ewww" and everyone joined in. It probably made his day.

kristina said...

I wrote an entire paper in college about this phenomenon. It was a class on Afro-Haitian culture and religion (how college-y of me!) and we were watching a video of a ceremeony in which a rooster was sacrificed to Oshun. Lots of girls hid their faces in their sweaters and gasped and were vocally and visibly horrified. I found this reaction to be boring and stupid.

This was about the same time that CNN was providing 24-hour coverage of "shock and awe" as the U.S. bombed Baghdad. When some of us organized a college-style protest of the bombing, I noticed the absence of those same girls that had been so disturbed by a dead chicken. I took this to mean that these girls would have been ok if Vodou practitioners just bombed the rooster as a sacrifice, rather than bleeding it.