Saturday, September 02, 2006

Everybody Needs Somebody to Look Down On...

So I knew in moving back to the midwest and attending large state school here... I'd probably have to get over my prejudice against people from rural Wisconsin. People from rural Minnesota are one step above. I've tried to think of these people as more impressive-- we're at the same place, yet I had the advantage of not only a fancy-pants, coddling liberal arts college, but regular access to theatre and shopping choices beyond WalMart. But some things I can't get over, and it mostly relates to speech patterns. Thoughts on readjustment to the upper Midwest:
1. The accent. I can't get over it. I was never normal to me, but I keep trying to catch someone's eye when someone breaks out in Marge from Fargo. I just want a "wow, get a load of this" look to be exchanged.... nothing. Also, "pop." I used to say it, but now I give a start every time I hear it.
2. At all. "Would you like another beer, at all?" I had forgotten about this one. And now I just realized I sent an email yesterday that closed with, "Are you going to Chicago, at all?" What does that even mean? I never had so much of an accent, can I pick it up now? Would that be the single worst thing to happen to me mental health-wise and professionally? Possibly.
3. I don't know where small towns are. Except if they are an exit off 94... I'm sorry. I know Kenosha is on the east side of the STATE. And Wauwasee? I had now idea, I may have just made it up right now. I don't know this for Minnesota, either. Generally I know whether a town is north or south of the Twin Cities... but... that's about it.
4. People in Wisconsin hate Minnesota. I had forgotten this, too. Many times recently after answering, "Minneapolis" to "where are you from?," the asker has said: "Minnesota? ICK." I railed on a drunk 19 yr old who propositioned me on the way home the other night (um, not for propostioning me, but for hating on Minnesota.) "Get over it, we are the same people. Enough with the in-fighing, my friends. Once you leave the midwest and people start asking you what state Wisconsin is in... you see we need to stick together." It's not like I even care about college sports-- or the NFL. What are we arguing about?
5. People in Wisconsin hate people from the coasts, particularly East. This is a blanket statement and generally applies to undergrads where the term "coasties" is thrown around. Granted, most people who come to UW from the east coast are interested in paying steep out-of-state tuition with no possibility of financial aid and not smart enough to get into Michigan (did I say it? Whooops!)
6. Bucky the Badger looks like a total dick.

The only thing that redeems him is the turtleneck. So he looks like a jerk with a dated fashion sense? Awesome. Bucky comes up because he is EVERYWHERE from t-shirts to tortilla chips in this town. And I've been trying to spread the campaign against him.

No comments: