Thursday, September 21, 2006

"Nah. too many 1Ls...."

So I'm sitting in the atrium of the law school. A couple of guys just came in, surveyed the scene and not-so-quietly left saying, "Nah, there's too many 1Ls." Now, I am all for disliking people based on things they can't control... (usually, though, I prefer things they can control. Asshole? Passive Aggressive? Dumb but think they're smart? Annoying? Stupid laugh? Attention whore? Mean to me?) but... odds are I am older than this kid. Don't treat me like the freshman. Because it's not the same. Thre dynamic is really strange, going to school with people of all ages and how they can be of different "grade" while being both younger and older. So some 23 yr old can feel great about being a second-year and lord it over the 30 yr old first year...
Now, there are plenty of reasons I would consider legitmate to dislike a good portion of the 1Ls... (reasons listed above) but the fact that they were doing something else last year and/or the year before besides law school is not one of them.
In a related note, there seem to be a lot of women between 26 and 30, but not a lot of men. They're either fresh out of college or... married. With children. I wonder why this is.

No comments: