Monday, September 11, 2006

from the archives

From: me;
>Subject: no words.
>Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 01:33:49 -0400 (EDT)
>
>love,
>wow. things here are indescribable-
>I've never experienced anything like this.
>I am so, so, so unbelievably lucky to be watching
>all of this from somewhat of an outside perspective
>Tuesday morning there were some serious scares
>BUT, everyone is ok. Every story I've heard is a
>blessed exception- someone who went across the street for a cup of coffee
>someone who just decided not to go to work on Tues-
>but I do know for every one of those stories, there
>are ten of unthinkable horror- There are some people here, though
>who are still waiting- and no one can get into New York for another
>few days. This is insurmountably huge and frightening
>and NATO just ok'd US military retaliation
>and I honestly think we are going to be bombing afghanistan within
>the next 24 hours... this is all at a level I don't think many
>people have, or can comprehend. We can't deal,
>we are ill-equipped and scared and angry
>and it's the truest test of my politics
>about the death penalty, and US aggression.
>Anyway, one thing that this has all brought out
>is an insatiable need to hold everyone we love close
>and swaddle them in blankets and hide them under my bed
>and protect them from the world and the monstrous ugliness
>and pure evil that has happened. I don't even have the right
>words to talk about it. But, when I think of these people
>I want swaddled and under my bed- I think of you.
>I love you so much.
>This is being compared to JFK's assassination- it is polarizing
>and has shattered the way everyone thinks- it has truly
>changed everything. I honestly can't even wrap my mind around it.
>Let me know how you are.

No comments: