Friday, September 15, 2006

Lady Justice might be blind... but damn is she clever.

There's an annual tournament here between the law school and the med school, called the Dean's Cup. It encompasses all kinds of events, from ultimate to kickball to bowling to trivia. A lot of folks are really into it, and were going crazy organizing the law students to take back the Cup, which we've lost for the past two years. So I'm willing to help, right? And figure I should lend my strongest hand. Which, let's be honest, is not athletics. Or bowling (which, no, I don't consider athletic.) So I signed up for trivia because basically my knowledge of random fact is what I most have going for me.
I ended up on a team with my small group and since I was late arriving, had to lay down on the end of the bench in the bar in order to see the TV displaying the trivia. Well, needless to say, law swept med last night. My personal highlight was, from practically under the table, saying "llama, llama, llama!!!" when the question appeared, "what animal is a vicuna most closely related to?" So apparently I learned something during study abroad/my Latin American studies undergraduate education. I had some other clinchers and law took the top 4 spots out of 12, our team came in 4th. Also thanks to my groupmate Scott's encyclopedic knowledge of sports. Apparently when given the names of 6 Phillies players, some people know who plays what position... in the same way I know Andean mammals.
A little unsettling was how poorly the med student performed-- especially in light of the fact that some of the question were definitely med-related (note: there were no law-related questions.) One was something about where the something or other was located and the answer was pancreas... we got it wrong, but they did, too. Which leads us to only one conclusion: If you need a lawyer, a UW grad will kick ass. For major surgery... uh, go somewhere else.

No comments: